EXCLUSIVE – Jan 18, 9.30am: A YOUNG boy’s terrifying encounter with a snake that bit him three times in his own bed has prompted a call for other families to secure their homes.
On January 5 about 6.30am, a dugite entered Mason Saunders’ bedroom, most likely through a small hole in the wall, and bit him on his toe, then a second time on his foot.
The seven-year-old woke screaming, to find the snake wrapped three times around his left arm. He saw the snake bite the top of his finger.
The screams woke his mother Chris, who flung open the door to see the snake still tight around her little boy’s arm despite his frenzied attempts to shake it free.
“I held him and told him to hold his arm still and it slithered off the end of the bed, and as its head went over he waved his arm a bit and it unwound,” Ms Saunders said.
“At that time I didn’t know he was also bitten on his foot.”
Ms Saunders said it was a terrifying experience.
“I have five kids but that took the cake,” she said. “You think your kids are safe when you put them to bed. You don’t expect them to wake with a snake around their arm.”
Mason is too scared to sleep in his room and the family is keen to move out of the rental despite trying to plug small holes throughout the old house.
The snake, which was spied by ambulance officers, disappeared before a snake wrangler could respond later in the day.
Mason also endured an unusual reaction to the venom, paralysed by the time he reached hospital by ambulance.
“Normally, people have clotting issues but he didn’t have that, he vomited in the ambulance as we arrived and said he felt sleepy; then he was suddenly paralysed,” Chris said.
Mason was treated with four doses of antivenene and, despite his nerves, he says he can’t wait to tell his friends his remarkable survival story.
Ms Saunders urged other families to secure their homes where possible and be aware that snakes can enter suburban homes in search of food.